Sunday, January 31, 2010

Saigon hookers










So many mopeds here in Saigon! Traffic is pretty crazy. I took the above photo through the front windshield of the bus I took from Phnom Penh. We'd been rolling right along for seven hours or so, and then came to a full stop. Everywhere we looked were these little helmets, people jostling and swarming on their mopeds.

(I'm not actually writing about hookers. I just wrote that so you would read this post.)

Saigon's are possibly as aggressive as New Delhi's, especially after Phnom Penh's. I don't think you have to be an anthropologist to figure out why, though. Look at the numbers:

Vietnam population 86,210,781
Square miles: 128,379
People per square mile: 672

Cambodia population: 14,699,885
Square miles: 69,898
People per square mile: 210

India population: 1,139,964,932
Square miles: 1,269,221
People per square mile: 898

I would venture a guess that if you go to a country with a denser population, you're bound to receive more elbows to the ribs, or more dents to your moped mudflaps. The disappointment to me is that Saigon seems to have about as lame a motorcycle selection as Phnom Penh. No, I don't want a moped. I don't want tiny wheels, and I sure as hell don't want a basket on the front. At least they don't push you to rent pink Hello Kitty bikes like in Phnom Penh.

While I research for several different projects, I'm going to explore a bit. I am hearing that getting your divers certification in Nha Trang, off the coast near here, is the cheapest in the world -- $155. A friend was telling me she just got her certification in Cartagena, Colombia, for $400 or so.

Below I am posting photos from Phnom Penh. I'll put up captions or explanations if you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment