Friday, May 29, 2009

LGBT hangout, SEX doctor and cricket


So I'm freelancing a story about hijra, or eunuchs, which are really pretty interesting and you should Google it sometime because I'm not going to write about them here quite yet. They're a difficult bunch to photograph or interview, but, to get them to warm up to me, I've started visiting a support group for gay men and transgendered people. I think a lot of them think I'm actually cruising, no matter how many times I tell them I am a (straight) journalist working on an assignment. This guy to the left in particular seemed really fascinated by me, and wouldn't leave me alone.

Everyone is pretty cool; the only problem is, there are only two hijra who attend. One is really talkative and speaks English well, but refuses to be photographed. The other speaks only Hindi and only occasionally will allow photographs.









I thought this sign was funny.


Selling plums outside the courthouse.



This typist works near the courthouse in New Delhi. Sharing his bench to his right sits a client, waiting for his document to be typed.



He wanted to know why I was taking his photo, and I told him you don't see manual typewriters in the U.S. He seemed puzzled, but then posed here with his typewriter.











These are some statues near the Jhandewalan metro stop.



Sacred cows actually have it pretty tough in New Delhi, sleeping in the medians, eating garbage, walking through the middle of traffic, etc. No one has written a story about this, I don't think, probably because so many people are in the same situation.

Boys walking home after an evening of cricket near my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment