Saturday, May 30, 2009

Elephant Ride, or, Being a Tourist for a Morning


Well, at least it's not boring here. I walked out on my balcony this morning, and this was what I saw: an elephant waiting to take us for a ride around the neighborhood.


Bulbul checks out the elephant in front of our gate.

























This was the absolute best part: Great, the Great Dane who is larger than me and who growls and snaps any time he sees me, finally ran into a creature that was bigger than him. He was so tentative about sniffing the elephant's trunk, and acted agitated for some time after the elephant had left, sniffing the air - of course, the elephant made a rather large deposit right in front of the house before leaving.

Our neighbor fed the elephant sliced lemons.



I was interested in riding, touristy as it is, but wasn't going to go alone. Not a problem, because the kids here were pretty excited. Kati and Bulbul were happy to go along, and we created quite a parade going up and down our street, the mahout using his stick to push power lines away from our heads and neighbor children trailing in our wake.

A going-away present.

No comments:

Post a Comment