Thursday, June 18, 2009

मोरे फ्रॉम हिमाचल प्रदेश


Two friends in Rumsu, near Nagar. If anyone is curious as to why I tend to put more photos of women on this blog, it's because a lot of the guys in the villages do exactly nothing, as far as I can tell. I am generalizing from the few I've seen in Himachal Pradesh, but I'm also corroborating my observations with others who've explored similar villages. In Malana, for instance, the guys sit in the town square and smoke and sell hashish while the women hike up and down the mountainside carrying ridiculous amounts of firewood, or work the fields, do the laundry, take care of the children, etc. So yeah, I mean, I could put in a few dozen pictures of guys smoking hash to balance things out, but that would get old pretty quickly.

Rumsu.
Girl in Malana.

The town of Nagar, Himachal Pradesh, as seen from my guest house.


Woman harvesting near Chochogi, a village near Nagar.


Smoking in Rumsu, another village near Nagar.


Boys playing on handmade scooters in Chochogi.


Krishna Temple in Nagar.


This little boy followed me around the village, then picked two lotus (?) flowers from a neighbor's yard to give to me. His mother wanted to take our picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment